Thursday, March 27, 2008

Old Clowns Make New News in Woodinville



I admit that it was I who saw the cover of the Woodinville Weekly while visiting Dr. Marxen's office and saw the paper's cover (in color) announcing the March 29, 30 year anniversary, of Woodinville's April Fools Parade. I waxed nostalgic about that first parade and how simple our pleasures were then. I remembered our neighbor Carol Edwards deciding to start a newspaper in her garage and then holding a parade through town. Anyone who wanted to walk down mainstream was invited to participate. Cherise and Peter dressed up in their matching clown outfits (that I had made for the previous Halloween), put their banty chickens in their doll's buggy (complete with hay and chicken wire) and strolled down main street to a first prize, blue ribbon win. The chicken did indeed lay an egg. Rural Woodinville was a wonderful place to raise children. Surrounded by berry farms, horse ranches, and surrounded by woods it was a pretty fun place to be as a kid. Then I remembered the photos I had -- somewhere -- of that first parade, wrote the Woodinville Weekly on a whim about them and then sent them to the editor on her request.

No comments: